Adding bacon to your grilled cheese makes something already great even better
If you know me at all, even just a little tiny bit, you know how much I like bacon. So this bacon grilled cheese recipe should come as no surprise.
If I happened to catch you off guard, seeing as I'm a dietitian, then I'd like to assure you that I do not eat bacon at every meal. That would make me not feel so great. However, I don't restrict bacon because it's not "healthy" and it's even deemed "unhealthy."
I find that restricting anything for any reason is a bad idea and it almost always backfires. And by almost always I mean always because it always does. Always always always. (Ok, unless you have a food allergy/intolerance or illness. Please don't eat those foods!)
The second someone says "hey, you can't have that" is the second it becomes all you can think about, amiright?! Maybe we should start telling people they can't have leafy green veggies. That might get them to eat more...
All jokes aside, I think it's important to have a balanced life and that includes what you eat. Balance in your diet means that you're not restricting for the sake of weight or whatever. It means knowing that you can have whatever, whenever, and however as long as you are honoring what your body (and soul) needs.
Y'all, sometimes my soul just needs bacon. I mean I'm from Alabama. I have a container of bacon grease next to my olive, coconut, and avocado oils. Like I said: balance.
Since I needed bacon and it's grilled cheese month, I decided to make a bacon grilled cheese. Per usual, adding bacon made a good thing even better.
A grilled cheese doesn't usually have vegetables (unless you make this heavenly roasted veggie grilled cheese), and this bacon grilled cheese is no exception. Be sure you serve with a side salad or bowl of fruit to make up for that.
Bacon Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tsp butter softened
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated, 1 ounce
- 1 TBSP green onions chopped
- 3 slices cooked bacon
- 2 TBSP grated parmesan cheese 1/2 ounce
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Spread each slice of bread with the softened butter. Top one slice of bread (butter side dowwith the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with green onion and bacon slices. Cover evenly with parmesan cheese, and top with other slice of bread (butter side out).
- Place the sandwich in the skillet, and cook until browned on one side, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, and cook until browned. Cut in half and enjoy!