With less than half the calories and fat of the original pizza, this copycat version of BBQ Chicken Pizza is equally delicious
Despite what the weather might suggest, summer is just around the corner. Which means it's about to be prime grilling season and time to make my own BBQ Sauce
The recipe makes about 3 cups of BBQ Sauce, so you can make lots of different things with it like Crock-Pot Pulled Pork, Skillet BBQ Chicken Pasta, or this delicious BBQ Chicken Pizza.
I'm sure you've tried or at least heard of BBQ Chicken Pizza from California Pizza Kitchen.
It's reeeeeaally good. But it's also really not good for you.
According to the nutrition facts on their website, one pizza is 1060 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated), 135g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 53g protein
Definitely NOT the ideal meal for bathing suit season or any season for that matter.
Like it so often is, my solution is to just make my own. And it really could not be much easier.
Plus, the Nutrition Facts are drastically reduced: less than half of the calories and fat and almost ⅓ the amount of carbs with more fiber...
I'd say that's definitely worth the 15 minutes hands-on time it takes to make this tasty pizza!
You can use a store-bought pizza crust like the Boboli Whole Wheat Thin Pizza Crust. Or you can make your own.
I had some pre-baked pizza crusts in my freezer, so that's what I used. I typically make the dough, separate it into 6 pieces, and either freeze the dough or pre-bake the crusts.
To be clear, there are nutrition facts for both the store-bought pizza crust as well as the homemade. The homemade pizza crusts were separated into 6 individual crusts before baking, so the nutrition facts reflect that.
Your serving will be a little bigger if you have them in individual pizzas, but they are equally as good if you use the store-bought dough. Please make sure you buy the whole wheat crust!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 12 ounces pizza crust whole grain
- ¾ cup BBQ Sauce divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into 1" pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon water
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 small red onion very thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spread ¼ cup BBQ Sauce over the pizza crust, leaving a ½ inch border for the crust.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and sprinkle with salt. Cook until chicken is done.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ½ cup BBQ sauce and water. Stir until all the chicken is completely coated. Set aside.
- Sprinkle ½ cup cheese on the pizza crust over the BBQ sauce. Top with red onion slices and BBQ sauce-coated chicken pieces. Make sure to scrape any extra BBQ Sauce from the skillet onto the pizza crust.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until cheese has melted.
- After taking out of the oven, sprinkle with cilantro and serve. Enjoy!
*Boboli 12" 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Crust is a good store-bought option, if you don't have time/don't want to make your own.
Regan @ Cabot Creamery says
Ooooo yum! We love, love some CPK BBQ Chicken Pizza. But I'm betting this is just as yummy without all the extra calories. (I also love the Thai Chicken Pizza... wanna makeover that one, too 🙂
Many thanks from the farm families who own Cabot, Meme, for the mention!!
Thanks!! I have never had the Thai Chicken Pizza; that'll have to be my next one 🙂
Such a practical useful post: Pizza crust AND Bbq sauce to use on anything! Am pinning for sure. And of course your gorgeous photo makes me want to rush out and make this pizza!
Thanks Serena! It's one of my faves
Brooke Schweers says
Yum looks delicious!
Thanks! It is my new favorite pizza recipe 🙂