The delectable side dish happened by happy accident. Enjoy a low calorie & low carb veggie with broiled parmesan and blue cheese on top
This is one of those recipes that came to be by accident.
I was just planning on doing some spaghetti squash and baking it with parmesan cheese on top.
Then I started talking on the phone, totally not paying any attention to what I was doing.
I can't even tell you what I was talking about - most likely it was not even remotely important.
I wanted to make a simple yet tasty side dish with the spaghetti squash, so I roasted it then scraped out the squash and put it in a baking dish. Then I seasoned it with some Italian seasoning and a little salt. I planned on just using parmesan cheese for topping but then noticed the blue cheese crumbles I had leftover from those amazing Blue Cheese Fries.
As I was discussing insignificant life happenings with a friend, I mindlessly grabbed the blue cheese and just started sprinkling. Mid sprinkle, I freaked out and decided maybe I should only cover half of the squash with blue cheese. But my hand just didn't listen to my brain and next thing I know, blue cheese was covering the entire squash totally by accident.
And oh what a wonderful accident it was.
Blue cheese + parmesan make a wonderful combination as topping for spaghetti squash.
You completely forget that spaghetti squash is super good for you.
Blue Cheese Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 teaspoon no salt added Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions chopped
- fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise (vertically). Scoop out seeds & discard. Add oil to 13x9 baking dish, and place squash halves cut side down.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until a knife easily goes through squash skin. Once cool, scrape insides out into strands and spread evenly in the same 13x9 baking dish.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Sprinkle squash with Italian seasoning, salt, parmesan cheese, and blue cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and sprinkle with green onion and parsley if using. Enjoy!