This caramelized onion dip has no mayo and is made with yogurt and cottage cheese for added protein
Disclosure: I might make a commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you.
This onion dip is delicious and made almost entirely from yogurt! There's no mayonnaise either!
All you do is: make some caramelized onions (you can do this ahead of time), mix together yogurt, blended cottage cheese, and some seasonings, then add the cooled caramelized onions, and refrigerate.
The best part is that people will think it's delicious and never even know it's not full of super rich ingredients that won't leave them feeling their best.
Oh and it tastes better when made ahead, so you can prepare it in advance when you have a few extra minutes.
Caramelized Onion Dip
for the caramelized onions:
- 1 TBSP olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
- 2 large onions diced (4 cups)
Make caramelized onions:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add butter and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20-25 minutes until onions are golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
Make the dip:
- Add the yogurt and cottage cheese to a mini food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add the salt, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon chives to the food processor. Blend until combined. Transfer to a nonreactive bowl like glass or plastic, and set aside.
- Once the onions have cooled, stir them into the yogurt mixture. Stir in 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.
- Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon of chives when serving. Taste, and add seasonings if needed.
- Serve with whole wheat pita chips, baked or microwaved potato chips, or crudités (a variety of sliced veggies). Enjoy!
What to use in this recipe: