When life gets busy, don't forget to nourish your body! Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry is a tasty dinner ready in under 30 minutes
Does anyone else feel the tiniest bit of anxiety that Thanksgiving is in three weeks and Christmas is in seven? Wait, did I just make it worse? Ah! Let's all take three big breaths together, and face the (Christmas) music.
Whether or not we're ready, the holidays are coming, and they're coming fast.
I'm not prepared to start talking turkeys and mistletoe; I want to talk about quick & easy meals that will keep you nourished throughout the holidays.
It's important that even when our schedules get full -- and by full I mean even crazier than they already are -- that you don't forget to take care of yourself.
One really important way to take care of yourself is to fuel your body with nourishing foods that won't cause you to feel tired, lethargic, or uncomfortable. If you've ever eaten too much pecan pie then you'll know what I mean.
Yes, pecan pie is delicious. No, you're not going to feel good eating half the pie.
When you get home tired from your day, it can be tough to want to make yourself dinner. But not when you have a recipe that takes 5 minutes to prepare and takes about 20 minutes cook time. Dinner in under 30?
That's my kind of holiday meal.
Using a few "convenience" items helps to make this meal ready in a flash. Frozen broccoli florets and precooked rice save time from chopping & cooking. You can always use fresh broccoli; just chop a head of broccoli and use three cups of broccoli florets. Blanch them before adding to the stir-fry.
As for the rice, you can use leftover cooked rice, cook the rice while making the Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry, or buy precooked rice (this is what I did).
So let's all remember to make time (even if it's not much) to keep ourselves nourished and fueled during the holiday season -- we don't want to end it feeling like a sick and tired overstuffed turkey.
Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 1 teaspoon oil coconut or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 pound chicken breast chopped
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoon tamari sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups cooked rice for serving
- Heat the oils in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 7 minutes, flip and add in broccoli florets. Cook for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together tamari sauce, honey, lime juice, grated ginger, and grated garlic. Add to skillet and stir well.
- Whisk together water and cornstarch. Add to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced by about half and has thickened to a desired consistency.
- Serve with cooked rice; enjoy!
What to Use in This Recipe
[showhide type="post" more_text="Click here for Nutrition Facts" less_text="Clear Nutrition Facts"]