A tasty weeknight meal that uses a can of chickpeas, broccoli, onions, and bacon. Quick, easy, and makes everyone happy
I love this recipe. It's one I found in Cooking Light Magazine a couple of years ago and continue to make.
One of the main ingredients is canned chickpeas, and they are a staple in my kitchen.
It's easy, and it has bacon.
Since broccoli is cheap right now, I buy the fresh kind. But in the winter, I still make this dish and just use the frozen broccoli florets instead.
The original recipe calls for broccoli rabe but they don't carry that at Walmart, so sorry, no broccoli rabe in my recipe. You're more than welcome to use it though. Whatever floats your boat.
Basically, you don't have much of an excuse not to make this recipe. It's easy, has bacon, uses simple ingredients, and tastes delicious.
Chickpeas with Broccoli and Bacon
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 crowns broccoli chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning no-salt added
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese freshly grated (about ½ cup)
- In a very large skillet or dutch oven, add bacon. Cook over medium heat until bacon is done, about 5 minutes.
- Once bacon is cooked, transfer to paper towels. Leave the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, and add the diced onions. Cook until the onion has softened about 7 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 10 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
- Add chickpeas to the pan, and cook another 5 minutes.
- Transfer to plates, and top each serving with about 3 tablespoons of Parmesan. Enjoy!
What to Use in This Recipe