Make a big batch of this Chinese Chicken Salad for a high protein, veggie packed snack or light meal
I have a really hard time resisting sales at the grocery store. Usually, I check the sales flyer before I go to the store so I can plan what I'll buy, but sometimes I buy things on a whim.
For example, whenever a whole chicken is on sale I buy it.
One may or may not say I have a problem. I mean I have 3 whole chickens in my freezer right now, but they are just so nice to have.
[clickToTweet tweet="Chinese Chicken Salad is great to have for high #protein, veggie-filled meals all week" quote="Chinese Chicken Salad is great to have for high #protein, veggie-filled meals all week"]
You can do so much with a whole chicken. My favorite way is to just roast it and enjoy. Roasted chicken right out of the oven is heavenly. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then make it as soon as you find a whole chicken on sale!
Other times I'll just roast the chicken (and eat the chicken skin & a drumstick haha) and then take all the meat off the bone to use later. You can make chicken salad, hummus chicken salad, basil balsamic chicken salad, buffalo chicken salad, and avocado chicken salad.
Clearly I really like chicken salad, so I made another type of chicken salad. Chinese Chicken Salad.
Holy moly, this recipe makes a lot of chicken salad. And it's great for keeping in your fridge to serve a crowd!
This chicken salad has pretty much every color covered, which means it's packed with nutrients. I used three different colored bell peppers, but you can use whatever you have.
I just love colorful things 🙂
Other goodies in this flavorful chicken salad include green onions, cabbage, cilantro dressing (with a little sesame oil & soy sauce), and cashews for crunch.
This keeps in the fridge for at least 4 days.
I recommend adding the cashews right before serving if you want crunchy. Otherwise, they get a little soft. Still delicious but just a little soft.
[By the way, once you take the meat off the bone, save the bones and make some chicken broth. I like to freeze it in 4 cup containers for later. You can't beat homemade broth.]
Chinese Chicken Salad
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice 4 limes
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups cooked chicken
- 8 cups shredded red cabbage about 4 ounces or half of a small head
- 2 cups diced bell peppers about 2 bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped green onions about 4 green onions
- 1/2 cup cashews chopped roasted
- Put the cilantro, lime juice, honey, tamari or soy sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, sriracha sauce, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper in a small food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the chicken to a large bowl. Pour dressing over chicken and toss together. Add cabbage, bell peppers, and green onions and toss together until completely mixed.
- Just before serving, toss in roasted cashews. Enjoy!
To make this recipe:
[showhide type="post" more_text="Click here for Nutrition Facts" less_text="Clear Nutrition Facts"]
Pin for later: