A great egg-free alternative to regular cookie dough for rolling; these Egg Free Sugar Cookies have cream cheese in place of the eggs
It's sort of hard to find a good recipe for sugar cookies that doesn't have eggs in it. I've tried two that were OK but not great...
I think I finally found one. It is your typical cut-out sugar cookie recipe but has cream cheese as well as butter. I like to make the dough a day or two before I bake. It helps your cookies get really chewy, which I love.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar. Add in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours and baking soda. Gradually add the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture. Making sure to fully incorporate.
- Put cookie dough on a large sheet of waxed paper, and wrap tightly. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Take dough out of refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll ½ of the dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Cut out cookie shapes using a 2-in cookie cutter of your choice. Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. If desired, top with sprinkles (or you can ice and decorate after baking). Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes on baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes in a preheated oven, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until the edges are barely brown. Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 2 minutes; then cool them on wire racks until completely cooled.
- Ice cookies and decorate if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.