This Crock Pot Pulled Pork is an easy slow cooker meal that's great served with cornbread or on a whole grain sandwich bun.
What type of pork to buy for pulled pork
Since I am no pro around the meat counter I decided to go with a boneless butterflied pork loin. I asked the butcher at Whole Foods and he said this would work fine for pulled pork.
I was so excited when it worked - no need to buy a fattier cut of meat! There were no greasy or fatty pieces in the pulled pork which was nice.
Anywho, I made cornbread to go with my pulled pork, and boy was it good.
But you could also serve it with some toasted whole grain buns and slaw.
Another note is that I made half of the recipe, and it worked well.
Preparation tips for this recipe:
- I used my homemade BBQ Sauce because homemade BBQ sauce beats store-bought by a mile. However, don't stress if you don't have time to make it 🙂
- Not only is this great served with cornbread; it's great served as sliders. Just cut whole grain hot dog buns into 3 mini buns and serve!
Crock-Pot Pulled Pork
- 2 lb boneless pork loin
- ¾ teaspoon salt divided
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder divided
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Rub the pork with ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon chili powder, cumin, and chipotle chili powder. Brown the pork on all sides in a pan over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes per side.