Greek Turkey Quinoa Burgers are full of flavor but low in cost
Recently, a few of my friends and I started a lunch-sharing lunch club. Instead of getting bored with our leftovers and letting food go to waste, I share it with a few friends. In return, I get a delicious lunch from them.
It's the best thing to happen to my week since I started Monday naps.
It's also a great way to save money because I'm not throwing away food. I love me some leftovers but there gets to be a point where I can't fathom eating another bite of leftover roasted veggie & chicken quinoa salad. I just can't.
All that being said, that's not my main frugal feasting tip I have for you today. Today's frugal tip involves stretching your ground meat/poultry.
Ground turkey breast was on sale the other day, so I bought a pack. Usually one pound would only make about 4 burgers, but when you add cooked quinoa and some other goodies (cheese and onions), you can make six burgers.
That's two extra mouths you can feed! Or in my case, my two lunch club buddies get the two extra burgers, and I freeze the rest for later.
Plus, because turkey burgers make me think of diets and that makes me sad, all the yummy added ingredients make these burgers awesome. These Greek Turkey Quinoa Burgers are far from sad. So far from sad.
I mean, how could they be sad?! They’ve got feta, red onions, tons of spices, and quinoa in them. I like to top mine with some tomato and cucumber slices for a little extra Greek flavor. And with that you have these far from “diet” tasting yet incredibly nourishing and filling turkey burgers.
I challenge you to get creative on how you can stretch your ground meat/poultry a little more. What do you like to add?
Greek Turkey Quinoa Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon quick oats or oat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- 1/2 medium cucumber sliced
- 6 whole grain hamburger buns or English muffins
- Add ground turkey, cooked quinoa, oats, egg, oregano, garlic powder, parsley, salt, cayenne pepper, red onion, and feta cheese to a large bowl. Stir together until completely combined, but try not to overmix.
- Shape into 6 patties, and cook until burgers are cooked through.
- To cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add oil and swirl around skillet. Place burgers in one layer and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side. If you skillet is smaller, you can do this in batches [use 1 tablespoon of oil per batch].
- Serve each burger on a hamburger bun with a tomato slice and a few cucumber slices. Enjoy!