No need for a box of Hamburger Helper. You have this tasty recipe for a complete one-pot meal ready in under an hour.
Who didn't like that goofy-looking hand + 1 pound of meat (+ other weird ingredients) when they were younger?
I know I did. I miss that stuff. I still think it looks so tasty when I see commercials, and I wish I could eat that for dinner.
I decided to make my own version since I feel better when I eat more homemade food vs. boxed things.
I haven't compared this recipe with the delicious out-of-the-box dinner. But it's good and definitely worth trying.
To make gluten-free, use gluten-free noodles. Replace the 2 tablespoons flour with 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and follow directions as written.
The recipe can easily be halved, or you can freeze leftovers.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 10 ounces mushrooms finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups beef broth preferrably no-salt added or low-sodium
- ¾ cup water divided
- 2 TBSP red wine optional
- 2 cups elbow noodles whole grain
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP flour
- ½ cup plain yogurt greek or regular, preferably not fat-free
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley chopped
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook beef, and drain fat. Return beef to the Dutch oven.
- Add in onions, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, thyme, salt, peppers, and seasoning. Cook until veggies are softened and mushrooms release their juices, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in broth, ½ cup water, red wine, noodles, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Whisk flour and remaining ¼ cup water together until smooth in a small bowl. Stir into beef mixture. Cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in yogurt. Simmer mixture, stirring often, about 2 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.