Kiwi Ceviche is a refreshing and delicious main meal or appetizer perfect for enjoying in the warm weather
Disclosure: I received free samples of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Making my own ceviche used to make me really uncomfortable. Me? Cook raw fish with lime juice? Eh, no thanks.
Then my brother in law made some ceviche with freshly caught fish the other week, and it totally changed my mind.
Because I'm that annoying person that wants to know every detail about a recipe, I asked him one million questions about how to make it, the exact quantities, how much it ended up making, etc. I got a little dramatic because it was so good and how could he not have let me watch every single step and measure out all the ingredients, and now I really needed the recipe to share.
I took pictures but obviously couldn't post the recipe of "well I used one trout and about half of a yellow and red bell pepper, plus some of that cut onion we had in the fridge..."
While I would totally be happy with that recipe, I didn't think it would be as well received with my blog audience. Obviously I just needed to make it myself.
While regular ceviche is awesome, I thought there would be some way to make it even more exciting. Ok, to be honest, I wanted to make sure that the fish would be not raw when I made it.
Kiwi has this magical quality of not only being incredibly delicious, but it has an enzyme, actinidin, that helps break down protein. I like using the kiwi in this ceviche not only for its beautiful pop of yellow color but also for its help in "cooking" the fish.
No raw fish in this ceviche!
[clickToTweet tweet="AD: Kiwi Ceviche w/ @ZESPRIkiwifruit: a refreshing, tasty meal or app perfect for warm weather" quote="AD: Kiwi Ceviche w/ @ZESPRIkiwifruit: a refreshing, tasty meal or app perfect for warm weather"]
This ceviche is also packed with nutrients thanks to all the fresh veggies and that lovely yellow kiwi in there. SunGold kiwifruit has as much potassium as a banana and more vitamin C than an orange.
SunGold kiwis are different than regular green kiwis. These are golden yellow and now fuzzy. Aren't they adorable (see above)
No worries if you happen to not be a fan of fish or don't have access to fresh fish; you can absolutely just make this salsa/kiwi-veggie mixture and omit the fish & marinating part.
I saved some of the kiwi-veggie mixture without fish and served it over sautéed chicken, and it was delish (but not pictured because nighttime photos are so fugly).
Before we get to the actual recipe, a few things... kiwi and lime juice are going to "cook" your fish but ceviche isn't for you if you are pregnant, at high risk for infection, or have a compromised immune system.
Make sure not to over-marinate your fish. You don't want it to turn to mush (ew).
I marinated mine for about 2 hours and felt like it was perfect. After it sits for more than a day in the kiwi-veggie mixture, it starts to get a little mushy so this ceviche is best enjoyed immediately or within 24 hours of making.
For the marinade:
- 1 cup fresh lime juice about 8 limes, divided
- ¼ cup peeled & mashed SunGold kiwi 1 kiwi
- 3 cups chopped white fish 1 pound
For the kiwi-veggie mixture:
- 1 ¼ cup diced red bell pepper 1 medium
- 1 ¼ cup diced orange bell pepper 1 medium
- 1 cup diced red onion ½ medium
- ¾ cup peeled & diced SunGold kiwi 3 kiwi
- 2 tablespoon minced jalapeno 1 medium
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic 1 clove
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup lime juice 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
Marinate the fish
- In a large glass or ceramic bowl (do not use metal), stir together lime juice, mashed SunGold kiwi and fish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours, stirring halfway through marinating time, until fish is opaque.
Make the kiwi-veggie mixture
- In a medium glass or ceramic bowl, stir together diced red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, red onion, SunGold kiwi, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, oil, lime juice, and salt. Set aside.
- Drain the excess lime juice from the marinated fish. Stir together the marinated fish and the kiwi-veggie mixture. Keep refrigerated or serve in a bowl over ice. Enjoy with crackers, chips, or in lettuce wraps. Enjoy! Best enjoyed within 24 hours
*For just the kiwi salsa, omit the fish & ¾ cup lime juice, and skip the marinating part of the recipe.
*The kiwi-veggie mixture can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
Be sure to check out all the other creative and delicious ideas for enjoying SunGold kiwi:
Deanna Segrave-Daly says
I love love ceviche and this version sound soooooo good 🙂
Thanks, Deanna!! It is pretty tasty 😉