This Miso Brown Rice and Kale Bowl is a bowl of goodness filled with nourishing kale, filling brown rice, crispy sautéed mushrooms, and sliced carrots all covered in a tasty miso dressing.
Recently I disclosed that I don't really love kale (until I made this Kale Caesar Salad). Well, I think it might be growing on me. Or maybe it's because I only buy the lacinato kale which has a significantly more enjoyable taste than regular kale in my opinion. Or maybe I'm just finally preparing it the right way.
What's the right way to prepare? Well, this is up for debate, but I sure do love it in a salad. Kale is a hearty green that holds up to a thick salad dressing.
Ok so back to this kale salad that is equally as amazing and completely different.
First, you'll need to make some miso dressing. It takes 3 minutes to make, and you absolutely will not regret it. I have continually made it since the very first time I tried it. I've already discussed how it tastes delicious on everything, like any veggies. Ok, so make it.
Now, you'll need some kale. Get the lacinato kale or dinosaur kale [Want more info on kale? Check out my post all about kale]. And then grab some cooked brown rice. If you don't have cooked brown rice, take a second to make some.
Wow, after writing all this, I feel a little demanding (make this. make that). But this salad, it is not demanding. It's a great way to use up items in your fridge.
This salad is an example of the best way to use up your leftovers. I had a few pieces of leftover salmon from this Salmon en Papillote and cooked rice because cooked rice is always a great thing to keep in your fridge (yay for fried rice).
Bowls are having a moment right now (and have been for a while), so we throw everything into a bowl. The best way to enjoy this is to massage the kale with a tiny bit of olive oil. That helps soften it a little bit. This step is optional but delicious.
Throw in your cooked rice, sliced carrots, sautéed mushrooms, and cover in miso dressing.
I added some pan fried salmon (heat a little oil in a skillet over high heat. Add salmon. Cook about 4-5 minutes on one side until the salmon easily releases from the skillet. Flip and cook another 3-5 minutes until done).
Toss everything together -- feel free to use whatever your heart desires in this salad -- and
I recommend making a few of these bowls for later because you are most certainly gonna want anotha.
Miso Brown Rice and Kale Bowl
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms 4 ounces
- 3 cups chopped kale 4 ounces or half of a bunch
- 1 teaspoon olive oil optional
- 1 cup cooked brown rice from about 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 medium carrot thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon Miso Dressing
- optional toppings: pan fried salmon or chicken
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add two teaspoons of oil and swirl so it coats the skillet. Add mushrooms in one layer. Cook for 4 minutes on one side. Stir and cook until softened and slightly crispy, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add kale to a bowl. Optional: massage kale with one teaspoon of oil.
- Add in brown rice, sautéed mushrooms, and sliced carrot. Toss with miso dressing.
- Top with cooked salmon or chicken if desired. Enjoy!
[showhide type="post" more_text="Click here for Nutrition Facts" less_text="Clear Nutrition Facts"]