The grown up version of an amazing grilled cheese; great served with a salad on the side
How was your weekend?
Mine was great! My sister and her children came to visit! We had so much fun!
We went to the aquarium on Saturday...
look at the fish!
Spent Sunday at the Zoo...
It was the prettiest day and the temperature was perfect!
just petting the animals
not so sure about that snake...
soo happy to be on the train!
We loved the zoo!
We had a wonderful time spending our beautiful Sunday morning at the zoo! It was a great way to end our weekend
On Friday evening we had a picnic in the backyard and didn't do anything exciting to save up for our busy Saturday & Sunday plans. I made my sister and I some mushroom grilled cheeses, and they were amazing.
I thought I should probably share the recipe with you since April is Grilled Cheese Month.
Grilled cheeses are so versatile. And delicious. And easy. And cheap. Oh, they are just great.
They can even be healthy if you use whole wheat bread, reduced-fat cheese (or less of the regular kind), and add some veggies... just like my Mushroom-Gruyere Grilled Cheese.
I'm so glad I had to make this again today to take pictures. It would have been pretty hard to write about it and not be able to eat it again. And the second time around was just as delicious as the first.
It really does take less than 20 minutes to make, so make this for dinner tonight if you don't already have plans.
Mushroom Gruyere Grilled Cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 2½ cups chopped mushrooms about 8 button mushrooms
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon red wine
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 slices 100% whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened or heart-healthy butter spread
- 1½ ounces Gruyere cheese grated
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms to the pan and cook until they release their juices, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt-free seasoning and salt. Add red wine and stir until it evaporates. Remove from heat and stir in thyme.
- Spread ½ teaspoon butter over each slice of bread. On the non-buttered side of two slices, put about ½ ounce of cheese. Top with mushrooms. Top mushrooms with remaining ¼ ounce cheese. Put other slice of bread on top with the buttered side facing up.
- Over medium-high heat, cook grilled cheese until bread is toasted and cheese has melted, about 4 minutes per side. Enjoy!
[showhide type="post" more_text="Click here for Nutrition Facts" less_text="Clear Nutrition Facts"]