A cheesy vegetarian sandwich on homemade pretzel rolls
Happy National Sandwich Day!!
Let's make Philly Cheese Steaks & make them vegetarian.
We'll make our own rolls, too!
This is another recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Peas and Thank You. There are so many delicious recipes on there, even if you don't want to eat vegetarian or vegan!
This recipe is vegetarian, but it would also be great if you added some lean red meat to it to make it a little more authentic. Either way, the sandwich is delicious and got rave reviews from the people who tried the recipe with me.
You can buy whole grain hot dog buns if you don't feel like making your own. But it really was fun making the pretzel rolls!
Vegetarian Philly Cheesesteaks
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP red wine
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 TBSP fresh rosemary chopped
- 9-10 medium mushrooms sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions sliced
- 2 medium green bell peppers sliced
- 6 slices provolone cheese
Prepare sandwich filling:
- Combine all sandwich filling ingredients in a large bowl. Marinate at least one hour or up to 24 hours.
- Combine warm water and sugar in a large bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit until foamy, about 5-10 minutes. Add butter, flours, and salt. Combine with a spatula, adding dough if necessary, until dough is smooth and not sticky. Knead for 5-10 minutes. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, cover with a dish towel, and let rise for 1 hour (or until doubled in size). Once risen, divide into six even sections and form into sub rolls.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and bring 10 cups water & baking soda to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Once boiling, drop one sub roll in at a time and boil for 30 seconds. Transfer to a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle each with salt. Repeat with all rolls. Bake 12-14 minutes until tops are golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack.
Make sandwich filling:
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Remove mushrooms, onions, & peppers, and saute until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Slice rolls and place on baking sheet. Top evenly with mushrooms mixture. Top roll & mixture with one slice of cheese per sandwich. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and rolls start to toast. Enjoy!!