Two refrigerator staples combine to make this nourishing & tasty snack, salad, or lunch delight. Filled with protein, Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad will keep you full without much effort in the cooking department.
Every single week of May, I made a batch of chicken salad.
Running the risk of sounding like a broken record, chicken salad is great to keep in your fridge for an easy & quick snack, lunch, or even dinner.
You can eat chicken salad with sliced veggies and crackers, on top of lettuce, in lettuce wraps, and even make a grilled cheese with it.
I have a harder time spending a lot of time in the kitchen in the summer months. I'm traveling. I'm busy. It's hot. I've got books to read, beaches to sit on, water to swim in, mountains to climb...
It gets easy to settle with a snack that isn't going to fill me up but is easy to grab (I'm looking at you chips and crackers).
That's fine on occasion, but when I'm eating those things often because I don't feel like cooking or finding something more nourishing to eat, I start to feel crummy.
Chicken Salad keeps me from having that problem. It's packed with protein, and a batch lasts for a few days in the fridge. I usually double the recipe if I'm around others because it's quite tasty and I want to share.
It's like my two favorite fridge staples had a perfect little baby, and we all get to enjoy the benefits.
You probably should double or even triple the recipe because this stuff is goooooooooooood!
Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese about 1 ½ cups, shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces pimentos drained
- 8 ounces cooked chicken about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoon green onion
- In a medium bowl, mash the cottage cheese with a fork. Stir in cheddar cheese, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper until completely combined.
- Stir in pimentos and chicken until completely combined. Fold in green onions.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine. Keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.