Red Beans and Rice Burgers are the portable version of the classic creole comfort food. These burgers are hearty, filling Mardi Gras meal.
Yay! Mardi Gras is just around the corner, so it's time to get celebrating!
With about 10 days of parades, parties, and people everywhere, it can be challenging to eat a well-balanced diet.
I always start my day with a protein filled breakfast (these bananas foster protein pancakes are great for out-of-town guests or just to keep you full & happy for a long day of partying). Then I'll make a smoothie in a go-cup because Mardi Gras smoothies, duh -- think lots of fruits & veggies plus vodka 😉
For a meal, it's a good idea to eat something hearty that doesn't fill you up too much but doesn't make you feel like you're eating "diet food" during a festive holiday.
These Red Beans and Rice Burgers are the perfect example. They have all the good stuff found in Red Beans and Rice, but they don't take all day to make.
I like to serve them with some sliced veggies because let's be honest... no one is sitting down for a salad during Mardi Gras. However, these red beans and rice burgers would be delicious over some lettuce and make for a lovely meal during any other time of year!
There are a few things you need to do to make these, but they're worth it. Plus, you can easily double the recipe to make for a crowd or to keep in the fridge for something quick & easy to have when you need something other than another slice of king cake.
How to Make Red Beans and Rice Burgers
- First, you'll make the rice & veggies.
- Then boil the sausage & slice.
- Meanwhile, mash the beans and mix with the eggs & seasoning.
- Then stir everything together and fry.
Note: you can easily make these vegetarian by using a plant-based sausage substitute.
These red beans and rice burgers are perfectly crispy on the outside with a soft (but not too mushy) center thanks to the veggies & sausage.
I enjoyed mine wrapped in a big lettuce leaf -- which conveniently makes it a to-go item. One hand for you red beans and rice burger wrap, one hand for your drink. Laissez les bons temps rouler.
Red Beans and Rice Burgers
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup brown rice uncooked
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 10 ounces sausage uncooked
- 2 TBSP oil avocado or olive oil, divided
- Add bell pepper, onion, and celery to a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until veggies have softened. Add in rice and stir for 30 seconds. Pour in broth. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer. Stir often until cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill the saucepan with water and add the sausage. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes until sausage is cooked. Chop into small pieces and stir into bean & rice mixture.
- Also, mash kidney beans into a medium bowl, and add garlic, egg, paprika, garlic powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and lemon pepper. Set aside.
- When the rice is done, transfer to the mashed beans.
- Shape into 8 patties. If possible, refrigerate the patties for at least 20 minutes to help them hold together. However, this step is optional if you do not have the time.
- Add one tablespoon oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties to the skillet. Cook until crispy on both sides, about 5-7 minutes per side.
- Repeat with remaining tablespoon of oil and patties. Enjoy!
Doesn't this recipe look good?! You should probably share it: