This one-skillet Greek chicken recipe is a dream come true when you're strapped for time, the desire to cook, or the will to clean
At the end of December & the beginning of January, I was basically a zombie. I was sick and exhausted for almost an entire (unpleasant/unproductive) month.
I decided to create a recipe that required little effort, did not involve much cleanup, and was nourishing & delicious.
Ok so maybe I strive to make almost all of my recipes like this; I mean I'm not known for my cleaning skills, and I love delicious food. But who doesn't?!
Well, this recipe for Skillet Greek Chicken hit the nail perfectly on the head. One skillet. 12 ingredients. Lots of veggies & lean protein. Full of flavor.
Yes, please, and thank you!
Start by pan-frying the chicken in a little olive oil to get the outside crispy. Then transfer your chicken to a plate, and add in your onions. Sauté these while your oven preheats. I like to cook them for at least 15 minutes to bring out their natural sweetness; however, 10 minutes is sufficient.
Throw in your garlic and spices for tons of flavor and add in the tomatoes. Let this simmer for a few minutes, so it thickens a little bit. Now top with your chicken and cover with cheese (both feta & goat cheese are good here), and bake to perfection.
I like to serve this with a good slice of french bread or cooked quinoa to soak up all the tomatoey goodness. It’s up to you. You could even serve with a side salad for even more veggies!
Once you've cleaned your skillet & your cutting board, you can kick back, relax, and enjoy the evening since you’re not slaving over your stove.
Skillet Greek Chicken
- 1 tablespoon oil divided
- 1.25 pounds chicken breast thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- 1 large onion sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic about 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce can) diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese about 4 ounces
- fresh parsley for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400*F
- Heat a large (12 inch) oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken breast with paprika and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Put the chicken in a single layer in the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onion slices and reduce heat to medium. Sauté for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, parsley, basil, salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Pour in tomatoes and their juices. Stir together well and simmer for about 10 minutes. Top mixture with the reserved chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes until bubbly and cheese is lightly browned. Let cool for about 5 minutes, sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired, and enjoy!
Looking for a few other favorite one-skillet meals? Here you go...