Saucy and delicious chicken adobo couldn't be easier thanks to your slow cooker. A tasty Filipino dinner that isn't your typical boring chicken dish.
Sometimes I feel like the slow cooker gets stashed away when the weather starts to get warm only to be used when you want warm, comfort food.
But oh how sad that is because the slow cooker can be your best friend when it gets hot outside.
First of all, using your slow cooker means you don't have to turn on the oven or the stove saving you from heating up your kitchen. (Yay for saving money on the A/C bill!)
Second, when you end up having a leisurely evening enjoying a sunset only to realize that it's past 8 o'clock when you go inside to make dinner, you'll be pumped when all you have to do is take the cover off the slow cooker because your meal is cooked & ready to serve.
And the most important part is that pretty much every slow cooker recipe is delicious and eeeeeeeeeaaaaaasy! Booyah!
This one is no exception, and it's really tasty when served over this cilantro lime rice and beans (which you can make ahead of time and stash in the fridge).
I think it would also be fab over some mashed potatoes or cooked quinoa or even with a slice of bread. But I really like the rice because
it was already in my fridge the tanginess of the lime and the flavor of the cilantro pair so well with the chicken adobo.
Chicken thighs are my preferred protein of choice here because they are budget friendly and have so much flavor so you don't have to worry about dry chicken.
You're welcome to use chicken breast or tenderloins but I can't guarantee complete success. (Then again, I think it would still be delish because there is a lot of sauce to keep the chicken from drying out).
Leftovers are the bomb and they also freeze well.
Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
- Add the diced onions to the bottom of a slow cooker. Top the onions with the chicken.
- Put the bay leaves, peppercorns, and smashed garlic in a cheesecloth or coffee filter. Place in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together vinegar, water, and soy sauce. Pour evenly over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Serve over Cilantro Lime Rice and Beans, mashed potatoes, quinoa, or with a slice of bread to soak up the juices