I love fall for so many reasons, and I love making soup this time of year! It's easy to make, perfect for warming you up, and makes your house smell so good! Soup is also filling and can be healthy.
I apologize because I will probably be posting a lot more soup recipes throughout the fall and winter. I just really love soup 🙂
This soup is really easy to make. It's a great meal by itself but would be good as an appetizer or in addition to something like a sandwich.
It is filling because it's full of fiber and protein thanks to the lentils. Even better is that it's full of veggies!
It also freezes well.
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can no-salt added diced tomatoes un-drained
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 3-4 stalks celery finely diced
- 3 large carrots finely diced (or 2 cups shredded carrots)
- 1 cup dry lentils rinsed
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- Parmesan cheese or Nutritional Yeast optional
- Place onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, celery, carrots, lentils, and all seasonings into slow cooker. Pour in 6 cups water.
- Set slow cooker on Low and cook for 6 to 8 hours. (Mine took about 7½ hours). Make sure to taste and add seasoning if needed.
- Right before serving, add hot sauce to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and top with a couple of tablespoons of Parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!!