Southwest-inspired cornbread is cheesy & delicious. It's great alone or with pulled pork. Bonus: it's a whole grain!
On Monday, I posted a recipe for Crock-Pot Pulled Pork.
In the picture, there's some cornbread, and I love cornbread. Cornbread improves every meal.
It's not a typical Southern cornbread. This one is more Southwest-inspired, which is probably the reason I think it goes so well with the pork. Both are Southwest-inspired.
Cornbread is really easy, and you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen. I never buy buttermilk because it's so easy to make yourself: just add a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk; let it sit and then you have "buttermilk."
Hopefully, you already have the ingredients for the pulled pork in your crock pot simmering away. Then you can make the cornbread now and have a wonderful meal tonight.
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice or vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoon oil
- In a glass or plastic measuring cup, add lime juice (or vinegar) to milk. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray an 8" or 9" baking pan with non-stick spray. Make sure it is well coated.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in milk/lime juice mixture, cheese, green chiles, and oil until combined. Try not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 15-20 minutes. Cut into 9 pieces. Enjoy!
That looks wonderful. Cornbread is awesome, but I've never tried it. I should though 0 have seen it done so many times 😀
Oh you absolutely need to try it! It's the ultimate comfort food (in my opinion) and goes with everything
The picture of the cornbeard and pulled pork literally made my mouth water. 🙂 Have a great weekend!
Thanks! It's so delicious