A mayonnaise free version of typically high-calorie dip – this one has more protein and less fat & calories than the regular one
This past weekend I was at the beach for a bachelorette party, and we had soÂ much fun!
Like JalapeÃ±o Popper Dip I made a while back, I used cottage cheese instead ofÂ mayonnaise to save on calories and fat.
Even if you don’t like cottage cheese, you will like this dip. The cottage cheese melts into the dip when it is baked, but if you have some extensive issues with cottage cheese, you can always blend the cottage cheese before stirring it into the dip. Then you really won’t be able to tell there is cottage cheese in there!
Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 2 1/2 tsp oil divided
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 8 oz frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 14 ounce can quartered artichoke hearts drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 2 or 3-qt baking dish with 1/2 tsp oil; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 7-10 minutes, until soft and lightly browned. Stir in the garlic, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cream cheese and yogurt until completely combined. Stir in the cottage cheese, seasoning, and hot sauce.
- Add the spinach, artichokes, and cooked onions to the mixture. Stir in the mozzarella cheese and 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese, and bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vegetable slices and whole wheat pita chips. Enjoy!
I hope you have a great week!