This tried and true recipe for easy, healthy Taco Soup makes enough to serve a hungry crowd plus have leftovers for later. Great for weekly meal prep. Gluten-free, dairy-free, made with beef or turkey, includes a vegetarian option. This simple recipe is made on the stovetop and will be your go-to comfort food!
Taco Soup is undoubtedly the recipe I've prepared the most in my twenty-eight years of living.
It's incredibly simple to prepare, makes a lot, and is a crowd-pleasing bowl of comfort.
No one ever turns down a bowl of this Taco Soup (unless they're vegetarian, and in that case, I'll make them a bowl of this Three Bean and Quinoa Chili).
It seems strange to me that I've yet to post this recipe, but I know exactly why... I make it so often that I forget to write down specific ingredient amounts.
That has to be one of the most frustrating things that I do to myself. Why oh why can't I just write it all down?!
I suppose I'm convinced that I will remember every detail.
Finally, I captured this recipe in all its detail.
The original recipe calls for taco seasoning packets and ranch dressing packets. I just forget to buy them and try to keep a bunch of spices on hand anyway.
The beauty of this recipe is that it is simple and makes enough to serve a hungry crowd.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 large onions diced
- 2 medium bell peppers diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes or onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 28 ounce can no-salt added diced tomatoes undrained
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies undrained
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can white corn drained and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- grated cheese
- green onions chopped
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground beef, diced onions and bell peppers. Cook until meat is browned. Drain.
- Return to the pot. Add minced garlic and seasonings (chili powder, dried parsley, cumin, garlic powder, onion flakes, paprika, oregano, dill, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper) and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot and stir well. Bring to a boil, and reduce temperature to simmering. Simmer for 90 minutes to 2 hours, making sure to stir occasionally.
- Serve with optional toppings if desired.