My favorite easy recipe for ground beef tacos that doesn't use taco seasoning packets. Don't be intimidated by the long ingredients list -- it's only the seasonings for the tacos
Making tacos is one of my specialties.
I have posted 10 versions of tacos on the blog (crawfish, tofu, black bean & kale, Philly cheese steak, fish, shrimp & avocado, slow cooker beef carnitas, slow cooker chicken, slow cooker chicken ranch), but I've never posted a recipe for regular ground beef tacos.
I took it as a sign when ground sirloin was on sale the other day that I needed to post them ASAP.
These tacos are one of my favorite know-by-heart recipes, so it was actually a little challenging to get the recipe just right. I ended up making three batches to make sure it was perfect.
OK, so maybe I just really like these, and I needed an excuse to make tacos 3 times in one week.
Quick note: These are kinda spicy because I like spicy. Feel free to cut back or omit the cayenne pepper if you're not a spicy fan.
The best part is that I was able to use the taco leftovers to make other things! I think my favorite part about ground beef tacos is that you can do a lot with their leftovers. I like to toss in a can of beans, then make salads, stuffed bell peppers, and more.
I usually double the recipe, so I'll be guaranteed leftovers (which also happen to freeze well).
One pound of meat plus onions & bell peppers is going to make about 4 cups. The average serving is about 1 cup. So you might want to make more if you are interested in having leftovers to use for some delicious meals I'll be posting later 😉
K, so that about covers it. There's not too much to say because there's not too much to do to produce fantabulous taco-licious results.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion about 1 ¼ cup, diced
- 1 bell pepper about 1 ¼ cup, diced
- 4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ⅔ cup water
- tortillas for serving
- optional toppings: cheese lettuce, tomatoes, avocado
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onions, and bell peppers over medium-high heat. Drain and add back to the skillet.
- Stir in chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, and ground coriander. Stir well to coat ground beef & veggies.
- Sprinkle cornstarch on the mixture and add water. Bring to a simmer, and reduce heat. Simmer until the liquid has thickened, about 15 minutes. Serve in tortillas with your choice of toppings, and enjoy!
*The coriander and sugar are optional. Both make the tacos taste more like the tacos that use taco seasoning packets.