These budget friendly Tofu and Rice Lettuce Wraps are filled with lots of veggies, warming spices and plant-based protein to keep you full and satisfied.
Not only do spices make your meal tastier, they have benefits for your body, too. Spices are filled with antioxidants! Polyphenols like the good stuff in wine and chocolate, are also present in spices (and dried herbs, too), and they act as antioxidants in your body.
While spices don’t have magical superpowers, certain spices have been shown to reduce inflammation, fight free radicals (that can cause the effects of aging and cancer), protect your cardiovascular system, and help control blood sugar.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Budget friendly #vegan lettuce wraps w/ lots of veggies, warming spices plant-based protein” quote=”Budget friendly #vegan lettuce wraps w/ lots of veggies, warming spices plant-based protein”]
All that being said, I love adding something that makes my food taste good and can possibly have some nourishing benefits. Yes, sign me up, please!
Stocking your pantry with spices can get pricey if you’re buying every single spice in the grocery store spice aisle, so I recommend starting with a few and going from there.
My must-have spices include garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, cinnamon, turmeric, oregano, nutmeg, cumin, and chili powder.
My pantry is filled to the brim with spices, and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside just like spices do 😉
Adding more spices to your meals makes eating at home more enjoyable (yay for more flavor) and brings some extra antioxidants to your day. Who would say no to that?
These Tofu & Rice Lettuce Wraps are packed with spices and veggies which make me jump for joy. I like adding tofu here because it’s an inexpensive plant-based protein that takes on any flavor you give it. It’s the perfect vehicle for adding all these spices!
In this mixture, you have paprika, turmeric, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. That means no boring tofu, which is always a good thing.
If you’re not a tofu fan or do not eat soy, substitute with a can of chickpeas (drained). You can also serve this without the lettuce wrap but anything wrapped in lettuce is more fun, in my opinion, and you get extra veggies!!
Tofu and Rice Lettuce Wraps
- 2 TBSP oil divided
- 1 large onion diced (2 cups)
- 3 large carrots diced (1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper diced (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery diced (1/2 cup)
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu or firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced (2 tsp)
- 12 large lettuce leaves for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and bell peppers. Sauté for 10 minutes
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Push the veggies to the edges of the skillet, and add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the middle of the skillet. Add tofu in one layer, if possible.
- Cook for about 3 minutes then sprinkle with spices. Stir to coat everything completely.
- Stir in rice and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until rice is heated through.
- Can serve immediately for a warm filling or serve cold or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Doesn’t this recipe look good?! You should probably pin it for later: