A light, colorful meal with heart healthy fats, lean protein, and veggies
This might be one of the most colorful meals I've made in a while. It makes me feel so good about eating it, and even better is that it was so delicious!
- Tuna is a good source of omega-3 fats, high in protein, and low in fat.
- Vegetables are full of antioxidants, phytonutrients & fiber, while also low in calories, fat, sodium, & sugar.
- Avocados are a great source of mono-unsaturated fat, which is a heart healthy fat that has been shown to decrease bad cholesterol, increase good cholesterol, and possibly help with weight management (if replacing unhealthy fats).
This meal is the perfect Spring/Summer lunch or light dinner. Serve with some fresh fruit to make it even more colorful & healthy 🙂
No worries if you aren't a fan of tuna. Replace the tuna with 4 oz shredded cooked chicken or turkey breast or ½ cup white beans or chickpeas.
Tuna Salad Stuffed Avocado
- ½ avocado
- 5 ounce can tuna drained & flaked
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar or white
- ¼ teaspoon salt-free Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped grape tomatoes about 6
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Scoop out the avocado, leaving a ¼-inch border around the edges. Put avocado flesh in a medium sized bowl. Stir in tuna, olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, and lemon juice. Mix well. Then add chopped tomatoes and green onion.
- Slice the bell pepper in half, discarding the ribs and seeds. Dice half of the pepper, and stir it into tuna mixture.
- Fill the remaining bell pepper half and the avocado shell with the tuna salad mixture. Serve with carrot sticks for dipping if desired. Enjoy!