Twice Baked Taco Potatoes combines two favorites with twice-baked potatoes and taco leftovers that everyone will enjoy!
Wooh! I used leftover taco meat to make twice-baked potatoes, and THEY ARE SO GOOD!
It's like everything good in one. You're using up leftovers, it's very budget-friendly, and it's flippin' fantastic.
The spicy taco meat with the plain yogurt and lots of cheese are all stuffed into a baked potato, and you have yourself a perfectly packaged delight for dinner or lunch.
Most of the potatoes you find in the store are ginormous. Instead of buying them individually, I buy a 5-pound bag because those potatoes are usually more reasonably sized.
You'll want a 4 to 6-ounce potato, which is around 4 inches.
Let's get to the recipe... you start by baking your potatoes. You can do this ahead of time or just plan ahead since it takes about an hour to initially bake them.
If you are eating baked potatoes earlier in the week, add a few extra potatoes in the oven and save them for this recipe. You'll be so happy you did.
Let your potatoes cool a little bit, and slice off the top portion of the potatoes, probably about ¼ to ½ inch. You want enough room so you can scoop out the potato but not too much where you're wasting a lot of the potato.
Then reserve the insides from one potato. You can toss the other potato insides or use them for another dish (maybe some mashed potatoes for another night!)
Mash the potato with plain yogurt and some of the cheese. I used a spicy cheddar because it gives these potatoes tons of flavor. If you use regular cheddar, you might want to add in a little extra chili powder to taste.
Now, stir in the taco meat. Then pack about ½ cup of the mixture into each of the potatoes. You really want to pack the mixture into the potatoes; stuff 'em till ya can't stuff no more
Once you have your potatoes stuffed and ready, you have two options...
1) Bake them for about 15-20 minutes. Cover with cheese, bake another 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
2) Wrap tightly and freeze for later. When you're ready to bake your frozen potatoes, pop them on a baking sheet and stick them in an oven. Heat the oven to 400*F and bake for 45 minutes. Top with cheese and bake another 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Use up your leftover baked potatoes and your leftover taco meat to make a delicious, comfort food delight.
Twice Baked Taco Potatoes
- 4 small potatoes 4 to 6 ounce
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup shredded cheese about 5 ounces, divided
- 1 ½ cups leftover taco meat
- Preheat the oven to 400*F. Wrap potatoes individually in foil and bake for 60-75 minutes until a knife easily slices through the center.
- Unwrap potatoes and let cool.
- When potatoes have cooled some, slice off about ¼ to ½ inch horizontal top of the potato. Carefully scoop out potatoes, reserving the insides of one potato. Set aside the potato shells.
- Mash the insides of one potato with the plain yogurt. Stir in salt and ¾ cup cheese. Then fold in leftover taco meat.
- Pack the mixture into the potato shells until full. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Top each potato with remaining cheese (about 2 tablespoons per potato) and bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Enjoy!
*Look for the smaller potatoes usually in bulk bags of potatoes.