Light & refreshing chicken and veggie filled lettuce wraps covered in a delicious peanut sauce
There's something about a lettuce wrap that makes me so happy.
Maybe it's the crunch of the lettuce or that I get to eat with my hands or the fact that it always ends up being a little messy.
I have a sneaky suspicion it also has something to do with the fact that I am getting so many veggies in my meal.
And not in a diety way because diets are lame, and I don't want to eat like I'm on a diet.
So I just love these peanutty chicken lettuce wraps because they are so flavorful and so fresh and so delicious.
They are great for the summer but no need to restrict them only to the warmer months of the year.
The veggies are available year 'round and should certainly be taken advantage of if possible.
This peanut sauce is based off one I made for a pasta dish a few years ago because it's one I still think about and want to pour it on everything I eat.
Did I mention that I am head over heels in love with peanut butter?
Yeah, so this recipe is quite simple to make.
It does involve some cooking, but it's not much. You only need cook the chicken and saute the veggies.
I like to double the recipe and keep in the fridge for the week, so I always have a satisfying and nourishing meal at the ready.
Another thing I love is using the living lettuce. When you live by yourself or are only cooking to serve one or two, it can be annoying to buy lettuce for lettuce wraps and have the lettuce go bad before you can use it all.
That's why I buy the living lettuce, so the lettuce stays fresh for days so I can enjoy it for longer than one meal.
Peanutty Chicken Lettuce Wraps
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon oil olive or avocado
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 medium bell peppers sliced, any color
- 1 medium onion sliced
For the sauce:
- 1 head lettuce for serving
- Heat skillet over medium high and add oil.
- Add chicken, and cook for 4-6 minutes per side, until chicken is done. Set aside.
- Add bell peppers and onions, and cook stirring occasionally until veggies are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by whisking together peanut butter, tamari sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour half the sauce into the bell pepper and onions. Slice the chicken and add the the skillet with the veggies and sauce. Toss to coat.
- Serve the mixture in lettuce with remaining sauce if desired. Enjoy!