Use a cast iron skillet for a delicious, juicy burger, and up the flavor by adding blue cheese, caramelized onions, and arugula
Let's talk burgers.
I love burgers, but I rarely eat them at home since I don't have a grill.
However, I knew there had to be a way to make burgers without having a grill and figured that if you can make steak in a skillet, you should be able to make a burger in one too, right?
It's simple too. And you don't have to worry about having or dealing with a grill.
So you could make a regular burger if you want to, but what if you added a little blue cheese in there for a blue cheese burger?
It'd be a really good idea.
And you know what's an even better idea?
Making caramelized onions to go on top of that burger. And you can make those caramelized onions right in the cast iron skillet while your burgers are hanging out and getting all blue cheesy.
Blue Cheese, Caramelized Onion, Arugula Burger
For the burgers:
- 1 pound ground beef lean
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
For the caramelized onions:
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 pound onions sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- ¼ cup blue cheese divided
- 4 hamburger buns whole grain, optional
For the burgers:
- Gently stir together beef, ¼ cup blue cheese, salt, black pepper, and worcestershire sauce just until incorporated.
- Shape into 4 thin patties, and refrigerate.
For the onions:
- Heat a cast iron skillet until hot over medium heat. Add the butter (or oil) to a large cast iron skillet, and add the onions.
- Stir well, breaking up the onions and coating the onions in the butter.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for another 25-35 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the onions from the skillet and set aside.
Make the burgers:
- Add the oil to the skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. Place the burgers in the hot skillet and cook for about 3-5 minutes until the burger easily releases.
- Flip the burger and reduce heat to medium. Cook until the burger reaches desired doneness. (Note: I cooked mine about 5-8 minutes for a medium/medium-well burger)
- Remove from heat and let rest a few minutes before serving
- Serve each burger with about 1 tablespoon blue cheese, ¼ cup onions and ¼ cup arugula with or without a hamburger bun. Enjoy!
blue cheese caramelized onion burger Nutrition Facts
Leave a Reply