Creamy and cheesy quinoa that has the consistency of risotto without all the work risotto usually takes. Perfect as a main meal or a side dish!
What are your thoughts on risotto?
Personally, I really like it but I have no interest in making it.
Ok, yes it's really tasty and creamy, but it is a lot of work. And on a weeknight, there is just no way I'm standing over a pot stirring in broth to get it the perfect consistency. I'm just not.
Plus, I don't love that I have to find arborio rice or other specific rice to make risotto. I love the grocery store but I hate making special trips just for one specific ingredient. I like working with what I have or ingredients that aren't hard to find.
Basically, I had all but written off making risotto for my blog. And then... then Min posted this incredibly amazing looking Mushroom Marsala Quinoa Risotto on the Healthy Aperture blog.
My mind was instantly changed, especially when I saw the ingredients (nothing strange, all things I actually have in my kitchen!)
Using Min's wonderful recipe as my guide, I set out to make this quinoa risotto (without all the stirring -- yes!)
I doubled the mushrooms and cheese (more cheese always!) I also omitted the tomato paste and marsala wine because I didn't have any, and I decided to add lots of white wine in there because well... I like wine.
The result was nothing short of delicious -- creamy, oh so cheesy, with a mushroom in each bite! Plus, it makes a massive amount.
You could eat this as a side dish, as a snack, or as a main meal.
I ate it throughout the whole day while it was in my fridge. I also shared some with others. Apparently, you can even freeze the leftovers.
Bonus: since you only use a cup of wine, go ahead and pour yourself a glass to enjoy with dinner because wine is always a good idea 🙂
Mushroom Quinoa Risotto
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced (1 cup)
- 4 medium carrots diced (1 cup)
- 16 oz mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 green onion chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces parmesan shredded (1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces cheddar shredded (1/2 cup)
- In a medium pot, add rinsed quinoa, broth, water, and white wine. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and olive oil in dutch oven. Add diced onion and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add in sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until mushrooms release their juices. Stir in garlic, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- When most of the liquid has absorbed from the quinoa, remove from heat and transfer to dutch oven with the veggies. Stir well. Add in chopped green onion and shredded parmesan & cheddar cheeses. Stir until completely combined. Enjoy!
[showhide type="post" more_text="Click here for Nutrition Facts" less_text="Clear Nutrition Facts"]
Pin for later: