Curry Ripe Olive Sandwich is an easy, cheesy, and nourishing appetizer or light lunch with beneficial fats, whole grains, and veggies
At what age does one become mature enough to actually listen to your parents/grandparents/people who are more than 15 years older than you?
My thought is that it's when you start liking foods that you hated as a kid.
I know, right?! So high maintenance geez. And so silly because mushrooms and olives are delish and are so good for you!
I don't remember at what point I became obsessed with mushrooms, but I do remember when it happened with olives. It started out when I tried them at St. James Cheese Company -- one of my absolute favorite lunch spots in Uptown New Orleans.
And then I had the greatest salad dressing everrrrrr when I was in California last year.
When I was trying to think of a recipe with olives, I decided to ask Nan (my all-knowing, recipe-wizard grandmother).
She's been trying to convince me to make these Curry Ripe Olive Sandwiches from an old cookbook for years. To be honest, I thought they sounded not good at all.
But remembering that Nan's usually right, I made them. And whoa they are GOOD! Easy, cheesy, and tasty!
They're basically loaded open-faced grilled cheeses that have veggies, protein, whole grains, and beneficial fats.
Did you know that olives are as nourishing as they are delicious?
Olives are full of beneficial fat (primarily monounsaturated fat) with no trans fat or cholesterol. They also have vitamin E (.25 mg per serving), iron (.49 mg per serving), vitamin A (60 IU per serving), and fiber (.5 grams per serving).
And these Curry Ripe Olive Sandwiches are as easy as they are delicious. Toast some English muffins and stir the cheesy olive mixture together. Pile the mixture on the toasted English muffins and broil until the cheese is all bubbly, melty, and wonderful.
These are great as an appetizer (baked on whole grain crackers) or for lunch to serve a group of people because you can make the cheese mixture ahead of time and put everything on a baking sheet to cook at once.
Serve with a salad and a nice glass of red wine, and you have a lovely light lunch.
Looking for other olive recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
Curry Ripe Olive Sandwich
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups black olives chopped
- 1 cup green onions chopped, from about 4-6 green onions, white & green parts
- 6 whole grain english muffins split
- Preheat the oven to broil. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment (for easier clean-up).
- Toast bottoms of english muffins (about 2 minutes), and flip upright. Toast other side (about 2 minutes).
- Stir together cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, curry powder, salt, and cayenne pepper until combined. Stir in olives and green onions. Pile mixture onto tops of english muffin halves (about ¼ cup per english muffin half). Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy!