Sausage Kale White Bean Soup is the epitome of comfort food. Lots of greens, spicy sausage, and hearty beans give you a beautifully balanced bowl of soup that'll keep you full for hours. This dish comes together in less than an hour and has only 8 ingredients.
About Sausage Kale White Bean Soup
Is there anything better than a bowl of soup when it's cold outside? Yes, if that bowl of soup is delicious, filling, and comforting all in one. And this Sausage Kale White Bean Soup is just that.
Sausage Kale Soup Ingredients
Sausage: I typically use chicken sausage because it's easy to find and not super expensive. You can use any type of sausage you like; my favorites are Italian sausage or Andouille sausage. Because the sausage already has so much flavor, there's no need to add too much seasoning. Be sure to check the spiciness of the sausage and omit red pepper flakes if needed.
Veggies: Obviously, there is kale in the soup since it's in the name, but onion is in here too. I prefer lacinato (or dinosaur) kale because it has a lighter flavor, but regular kale is fine. You'll use about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bunch. If you really like veggies, feel free to use the whole bunch of kale.
White beans: Any white beans can be used: Great Northern Beans, Cannellini beans, Navy beans. Also, kidney beans, garbanzo beans and pinto beans will work in this soup.
Broth: Use vegetable broth or chicken broth. Try to use unsalted or low sodium to keep the white bean sausage soup from being too salty. Water is another alternative, but add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and another dash of salt.
Seasoning: Red pepper flakes give the sausage and kale soup a kick of flavor but can be omitted for a more mild soup. Salt gives the soup more depth but is completely optional. Fresh garlic or garlic powder can be added if desired. Use one clove garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder if desired.
Cost of Sausage White Bean Soup
- Sausage 12 ounces: $4.99
- Onion 1 large: $0.68
- Kale 8 ounces: $0.65
- White beans 2 (15 ounce) cans: $1.98
- Broth 4 cups: $2.28
- Water: $0.00
- Red pepper flakes 1/4 teaspoon: $0.05
- Salt 1/8 teaspoon: $0.01
TOTAL COST: $10.64 (Based on San Diego Sprouts 2019) or $2.66/serving
How to Make Allergy Friendly
This soup is already gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and soy free (depending on the sausage).
Make Ahead Ideas
Like most soups, this soup is great to make ahead of time and keep in the fridge. It freezes and reheats well.
Store the sausage and kale soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Reheat on the stove or in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave. If reheating from frozen, defrost in the fridge for about 4 hours or overnight or defrost in the microwave. Then reheat on medium-low on the stove or in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave.
What to serve with this dish
This Sausage Kale White Bean Soup is a complete meal, but I love to top it with grated parmesan cheese and a piece of bread.
This simple soup has lot of greens, spicy sausage, and hearty beans to give you a beautifully balanced bowl of soup that'll keep you full for hours.
MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE:
- Taco Soup [Gluten Free, Dairy Free]
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Soup [Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan]
- Spicy Green Soup [Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan]
- Ginger Beef Soup [Gluten Free, Dairy Free]
- Roasted Carrot Soup [Gluten Free, Vegetarian]
- Miso Soup [Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan]
Sausage Kale White Bean Soup Recipe
Sausage Kale White Bean Soup
- 12 ounces sausage sliced
- 1 large onion diced (2 cups)
- 8 ounces kale chopped (6 cups)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups broth chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoons salt optional
- Heat a dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook sausage in dutch oven for about 7 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onions to dutch oven and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale, beans, broth, water, red pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sausage to the soup, and simmer for at least 15 minutes. You can simmer for up to 90 minutes, but add extra water if needed. When ready to eat, serve and enjoy!
This post was originally published September 18, 2014. Text, recipe, and photos have been updated.
Doesn't this recipe look good?! You should probably share it: