Celebrate Grilled Cheese Month with a chicken salad grilled cheese. Putting chicken salad on your grilled cheese boosts the protein to keep you satisfied and full for longer, and the tomato slices and parsley add fresh flavor.
Happy Grilled Cheese Month, friends! A few years ago, I celebrated with a week full of grilled cheeses and it was one of my favorite weeks ever.
In all honesty, I probably eat some kind of grilled cheese at least once a week. A grilled cheese is easy, inexpensive, and delicious.
All the best things rolled into one cheesy, crispy, amazing sandwich.
Today I decided to make a grilled cheese with chicken salad.
If you've never made chicken salad, here's your reason to do it now. Chicken salad is fabulous to have in your fridge to eat as a snack or a meal. It's great on lettuce, on a sandwich, with crackers, or just eaten with a spoon.
Chicken salad is typically made with mayo which can make it not that great for you, but I make mine with cottage cheese. It adds protein and makes it equally as creamy and wonderful as regular chicken salad.
In that grilled cheese week two years ago, I made a pimento cheese grilled cheese.
Because you use cottage cheese in the chicken salad it adds extra cheese to this already cheesy sandwich. I added a few tomato slices and some parsley for fresh flavor.
For the cheese, you can use whatever cheddar or mozzarella makes you happy.
Grilled cheeses are crazy easy to make. Spread a little butter on two slices of bread. Top one slice (the side without the butter) with chicken salad, parsley, tomato slices, and cheese. Cover with the other slice of bread (butter side out). Then pop on your preheated griddle or skillet, and cook it until golden brown and toasty on each side, about 3 minutes per side.
Putting chicken salad on your grilled cheese boosts the protein to keep you satisfied and full for longer. Try to use whole grain bread for a little extra fiber.
I also recommend serving with a side salad for a few extra veggies because more veggies always!
Chicken Salad Grilled Cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter softened
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 cup chicken salad
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tomato slices
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese about 1 ounce
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Spread each slice of bread with the softened butter. Top one slice of bread (butter side down) with the chicken salad. Sprinkle with parsley and top with tomato slices. Cover evenly with cheese, and top with other slice of bread (butter side out).
- Place the sandwich in the skillet, and cook until browned on one side, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, and cook until browned. Cut in half and enjoy!
[showhide type="post" more_text="Click here for Nutrition Facts" less_text="Clear Nutrition Facts"]