This Beef and Hominy Casserole recipe is everything you want in comfort food in one hearty and warming dish; it’s easy to make and full of chewy hominy, rich tomatoes, satisfying beef and nutritious onions all covered in cheese.
The 21st of December is one of my favorite days of the year. It’s right before Christmas (which is obviously yay), and it’s the shortest day of the year which means that now the days start to get longer woohoo!
Another thing that happens on the 21st is Recipe ReDux. The theme is Grab a Book and Cook: The Recipe ReDux has been around for 54 months!
To celebrate, we’re playing a little party game this month: Grab your nearest cookbook and ReDux the recipe on page 54 or 154.
As I was flipping through all my cookbooks, I noticed that almost every cookbook I own had either a photo or a title page for 54 or 154. Naturally, I resorted to my all-time favorite cookbook, Recipe Jubilee.
It never fails me, and it’s still going strong.
Page 154 had a few that looked good, but I was working with only 90 minutes to go to the store, make the recipe, and take photos.
The Hominy Pie recipe looked like it would fit the bill, and spoiler alert: it did. In fact, this Beef and Hominy Pie recipe is why I love having canned food in my pantry to save me in moments like these.
Hominy isn’t the most common ingredient you’ll find but it is so tasty, so I always try to keep canned hominy in the pantry. Especially since it’s in my beloved Taco Soup. Plus, hominy is a good source of fiber.
And I always have at least 3 cans of diced tomatoes in the pantry because they are great for so many dishes.
I changed a few things like using a little less beef, upping the amount of onions (because more veggies is always a good thing), using cornstarch instead of flour (to make it gluten free), and used grated cheddar instead of American cheese (because I don’t do American cheese and I had my favorite Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar in the fridge).
This casserole certainly doesn’t require rocket science to make…
Brown your beef with the onions, drain, and add all the other ingredients. Cook for a little bit. Pour into a casserole dish, cover with cheese, and bake.
I love recipes that have everything in one. This has nourishing protein from the lean ground beef & cheese, lots of veggies (onions + tomatoes), and filling fiber from the hominy & veggies.
This is a hearty, filling meal to serve you, your family, your friends, your neighbors, whoever!
Beef and Hominy Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions about 2.5 cups, diced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 15 ounce can hominy rinsed & drained
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese about 1 cup, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the ground beef and onion over medium-high heat. Drain and return to skillet.
- Sprinkle in cornstarch, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir well. Add in canned tomatoes. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add in hominy and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has absorbed.
- Transfer to a casserole dish (like a 9 inch baking dish) and cover with grated cheese.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Doesn’t this recipe look good?! You should probably pin it for later: