A spicy, satisfying, and incredibly delicious one pot meal that will fill you up with goodness
Do you ever find a recipe and think "oh that looks pretty good..." but then it turns out AMAZING?
This is that recipe. I had some leftover sausage in my fridge, so I was searching for recipes with sausage and random pantry ingredients I have (lentils or beans or something like that).
I'm trying to clean out my pantry instead of buying more food to help prevent food waste, especially since I'm moving in a few weeks.
Luckily, I found this recipe from Serious Eats and thought it looked pretty good.
I love a good one-pot meal since it makes life so much easier.
It's embarrassing how much I hate cleaning my kitchen, and it also creates a problem since I am constantly cooking.
So anything that can be cooked in one pot is my dream come true, and I fall for those recipes every time.
Little did I know how good this recipe was going to turn out.
[clickToTweet tweet="Lentils w/ Sausage and Kale is a spicy, satisfying, tasty + nourishing one pot meal" quote="Lentils w/ Sausage and Kale is a spicy, satisfying, tasty + nourishing one pot meal"]
It's simple enough. Brown the sausage, sauté the veggies, then add in your broth & lentils and cook for a little while.
When the broth has all but absorbed, stir in the kale and cooked sausage. And yum!
I was planning on sharing this for lunch club one week. I hate to admit it, but I just couldn't bare to part with any of it.
It was that good.
I likeÂ how the sausage and jalapeño add a spicy hint but the veggies & lentils help mellow out the flavor. Lemon juice at the end really brightens the dish, so I highly recommend it.
This Lentils with Sausage and Kale dish will become your new favorite meal.
Spicy, flavorful, and incredibly satisfying thanks to all the fiber from the lentils and veggies. There's just enough sausage to give that spicy sausage flavor but not too much. You can use regular sausage, but I like the andouille chicken sausage. Whatever floats your boat.
Oh and I prefer green lentils since they hold up a little better than red lentils. I didn't want mush with sausage and kale.
This dish is incredibly satisfying and filling. It gets even better as it sit in your fridge, so it's great for leftovers. Plus, it freezes well.
Lentils with Sausage and Kale
- 8 ounces sausage sliced
- 1 1/4 cup onions diced (1 medium)
- 1 cup carrots diced (1 large)
- 1 cup celery diced (2 stalks)
- 2 TBSP jalapeño minced (1 small)
- 2 tsp garlic minced (2 cloves)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 3/4 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups lentils rinsed & sorted
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups kale chopped (1/3 bunch)
- 2 TBSP lemon juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 TBSP parsley for serving
- Heat a pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook for about 5-7 minutes until browned. Flip and brown the other side. Transfer to a plate, and set aside.
- Add diced onions, carrots, and celery to the pot. Sauté veggies until softened for about 5 minutes. Stir in jalapeño and garlic, and sauté for 1 minute. Add salt, chicken broth, lentils, and bay leaf. Stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When almost all of the liquid has absorbed and the lentils are softened, stir in kale & reserved sausage. Cook for about 5 minutes until kale wilts and the liquid has been mostly absorbed. Remove bay leaf and stir in lemon juice. Serve with parsley and extra lemon if desired.
Pin for later: